Resequencing Weezer Albums
Listening to The Weezer Bracket, I got the idea of taking the songs that were left over (that is, the good Weezer songs) and trying to sequence them into three new albums. What if Weezer had only released six albums, not eleven?
I made a few rules for myself for this little project:
- I left the blue album, Pinkerton, and the white album intact.
- I only used songs that didn’t make the cut of The Weezer Bracket’s 64 worst Weezer songs. This left me with 29 songs (counting Futurescope as one), so I added back in “Freak Me Out.” (I’m not sure I 100% agree with all their cuts, but might as well let them do the work, right?)
- Each new album had to have 10 songs.
- I tried not to stride the discography too much. The three new records should be generally comprised of early, middle, and late post-Pinkerton stuff with as little mixing as possible.
- I tried to keep songs’ general placement on their albums intact. Opening songs go at the start, closing songs at the end, and I tried to keep runs of songs together as they appeared on their original albums.
I think the result generally works. The green songs mesh very well with Maladroit. “I Don’t Want to Let You Go” has a bit of a different sound so I put “Freak Me Out” a few songs before it to add a little more of the middle period taste.
“Troublemaker” makes for a great opener to the red album. I’m very happy with the transition from the four Maladroit songs into the Hurley pair with “The Angel and the One” to close things out.
It happened that Everything Will Be Alright in the End and Pacific Daydream had exactly 10 songs left over. Despite having the white album released between them, both records have a somewhat similar sound. This one is maybe a bit mellower than the other albums; I like it a fair amount. The switch from “The British Are Coming” to “Mexican Fender” sounds completely believable to me as what you’d get flipping from side A to B.
Here are Apple Music links:
Here are the track lists.
Green Album Redux
- Don’t Let Go
- Take Control
- Fall Together
- Knock-Down Drag-Out
- Freak Me Out
- American Gigolo
- Glorious Day
- I Don’t Want to Let You Go
Red Album Redux
- Perfect Situation
- This is Such a Pity
- Death and Destruction
- Burndt Jamb
- Space Rock
- The Angel and the One
Everything Will Be Alright in the End Redux
- Ain’t Got Nobody
- Sweet Mary
- Get Right
- I’ve Had It Up to Here
- The British Are Coming
- Mexican Fender
- Go Away
- Any Friend of Diane’s
- Foolish Father
- The Futurescope Trilogy I: The Waste Land
- The Futurescope Trilogy II: Anonymous
- The Futurescope Trilogy III: Return to Ithaca